|The Kingman Powerhouse was placed in service in 1907 to generate electrical power for the city of Kingman. It was then named the Desert Power & Water Company Electric Power Plant.
It also supplied the area mines with power to operate their hoists and pumps. Completion of the Hoover Dam in 1938 pulled the plug on the local generating station.
Rescued by a group of concerned citizens, the old Powerhouse has been converted into a busy Visitors' Center and houses a number of other historic-centered organizations.
The Carlos Elmer (Arizona Highways Photographer) Gallery is located there as well as the Historic Route 66 Museum.