The picture above was taken shortly before the Mohave County Hospital was torn down. It was located between Grand View and First Street on Beale Street, in Kingman, AZ. The hospital was built in 1921-22 with Wings in 1940s and 1962. The hospital was built in the style of Mission/Spanish Revival.
Before the arched porches were closed in, patients often sat in maple rockers and enjoyed the fresh air. The basement was used for a long time to house mental patients and as a jail for women prisoneres of the county.
Santa Fe Railway Engineering Department designed the building and J. B. Lammers of Flagstaff was the contractor. Mohave County General Hospital was the main hospital in Mohave County until the 1970s. The hospital moved out to a new location, so county departments started to move into the building. The last and longest tenant was the Mohave County Sheriff Office. They moved from the court house to the old hospital.
The hospital was placed on the National Register in 1986. The hospital is on the National Register of Historic Places and the number is 86001165.
1922 - July 31: the 15,000 square feet Mohave General Hospital (MGH) opened in Kingman. Previous to this date, it was "necessary to remove to hospitals in Los Angeles and other coast cities disease-stricken or injured persons requiring special treatment."
MGH was built on an old farm at 301 W. Beale Street, about one mile northwest of what was known as "the Gulley House." Its Spanish-style architecture with a ten-arch colonade across the front cost about $65,000. The 26-bed hospital was staffed with six nurses. The facility was a county owned and operated facility.
Kingman is now a regional medical center.